Saturday, January 4, 2020

Basic Rifle Marksmanship Training and Sales


Disclaimer: This is not about guns or gun control - I am well aware of the sensitivity of this particular subject. The illustration I am using here is an analogy to help paint a picture and to help people better understand the concept. Haters gonna hate, and I really can’t help that. Please take the time to get past the shallowness of knee jerk reaction to the initial thoughts and emotion that come with your reaction to guns, gun control and similar subjects. This is NOT what this is about. This illustration could use darts, arrows, those little ping-pong balls with Velcro strips on them (and a felt target), and anything else that requires you to hit a target dead center (but that is not my point of reference - I went with what I knew – so try to let it go!)

Here goes: For those who have been in the military or have gone through formal weapon/arms training this will click immediately. For others the analogy will take a bit more, but I believe the connections will get there for sure. When I was in the army, one of the most basic sections of my basic training was basic rifle marksmanship (BRM). I have learned that there are some lessons in BRM that apply really well to sales that I am going to share here.

BRM starts with the four fundamentals; steady position, aiming, breath control, and trigger squeeze. How do these compare to what we do in sales? Good question, I am glad you asked that. First let’s talk about a key to BRM and a key to sales. A key to sales is that we need to be accurate and we need to have 100% perfect timing. Accuracy, meaning hit right where the customer has the most pains and timing should be when they have the available budget. There is a great and easy to remember model called BANT (Budget, Authority, Need and Timing) that illustrates this. Do they have the budget? Are you working with the person with the authority to make the purchase? Have you uncovered the compelling need or pains? And is your timing right (are they in a buying season/cycle)? This can help us with our BRM concept because BRM training is used to prepare soldiers for combat and accuracy and timing are of paramount importance there.

The fundamentals of BRM are steady position, aim, breath control, and trigger squeeze. To understand how I map the fundamentals of BRM to sales, it will help to understand one of the sales models that I have recently developed. It is important to say that I have never really developed a sales model per se. To me, sales models just seem to happen and then they are documented and optimized, then we repeat the best portions of them and combine a few until we have a catchy way of presenting it to others. I developed this one after observing and documenting some of AV’s best sales people and categorizing what makes them the best in their industry. I call this one On Target Selling. The concept is that there are four major characteristics that make up high performance sales people. They follow process, know stuff, relate and deliver results. The concept of the 4 quadrants is that if a sales person were to plot their skills in the quadrants, the goal would be to hit the bullseye. If you are not On Target, then your development path is to grow in the quadrants that will lead you closer to being On Target. See illustration for more details:



In the above illustration (the 4 quadrants of On Target Selling), I am showing the key characteristics of a high performance sales person. In this model, I first show (bottom left) that I believe a high performance sales person exhibits the characteristics of performance by achieving their target numbers and developing accounts for the long haul. They also follow process (top left) by using established pricing models and creatively implement programs to meet margin goals. High performers also have a high level of knowledge of their products, the market and solutions and systems (top right). Lastly (but not necessarily in order), high performers are great relationship builders, have great rapport and empathy (bottom right).

How do the fundamentals of BRM map to the quadrants in the On Target Selling model? Another great question. I am glad you asked. Let’s breakdown steady position, aiming, breath control, and trigger squeeze and how they fit into the On Target sales model:



Steady position is well worded for this because we are actually using it as the analogy for how we position ourselves in the market. Before you are ready to fire (pull the trigger in sales) you must make sure your pricing and programs match the customer’s needs. Are you selling to the right customer? I like to use three categories to make sure this is on track. Power, Preference, and Influence are these three categories. Have I covered all three of these categories? Then I likely have a steady position. If I have only covered power, then the possibility of someone of influence changing their mind (the IT guy coming in late and changing the spec) can lose me my deal. This would be showing I did not have a steady position.

Aiming gives us the example of being specific and focused. As a sales person, I have caught myself having finished a meeting with a feeling of great accomplishment. The meeting (in my mind) went really well. We had great rapport and the customer seemed to genuinely want to do business with me. After I returned to my office and started my trip report and got to the “subject” portion of the report I realized I may have made a great connection, but I neglected to use my knowledge of products and solutions to discuss the topics we needed to discuss (my products). At some point, it has to become about aiming the conversations and relationship towards to goal of selling or solutions.

Breath control the balance required to stay calm and not rush. This is a relationship and not all about the close. Take the time to breath and control the sale. No need to rush to close, but rather walk to solving problems and build towards the long term. But, if you wait too long even the customer gets antsy. Also, focus on the term breath control, not hold your breath. This is not stop everything and risk passing out. This is pace yourself and set a rhythm.

Trigger squeeze is the culmination of it all, but in BRM it is never one and done. It is about making sure you can fire again. Is the weapon well maintained? Did it jam? Did you squeeze the trigger and not pull or jerk it so as to be able to re-acquire your target and re-fire (make another proposal) if needed. It is squeeze not pull, so that you have a much better chance to not inadvertently change your aim (or for sales if you make your first proposal methodically and well detailed you will remain on target). You should also make your proposals (trigger squeeze) part of a flow and part of the rhythm of your sales process (breath control).

On target Selling, like BRM, requires practice. Moreover it is best done (like in the military or other places) with training, coaching and lots of feedback. In the case of BRM in the military, trainers are certified and they are assessed regularly. The bar is set very high for military marksmanship trainers. The major attributes of marksmanship trainers for the military are: knowledge, patience, understanding consideration, respect, and encouragement. These same attributes should be held by AV sales trainers. If you are looking for someone with these attributes to help get your team trained up as a team of expert marksman (making them a Sniper Sales Force) using the On Target Selling model and with 20 years of sales training expertise contact us today at max@gravitationtech.com or 775-MAX-AVIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment